Monday, July 21, 2008

Severe disappointment

It's hard to see your child be disappointed, especially when there's nothing you can do about it.  This is a hard part of parenting...usually.  Today it was just plain funny.  I've learned recently that I'm terrible at hiding a smile in the hopes that my child will not think I'm laughing.

Anna is playing quietly and looks up to ask me, "Is Peyton Manning already married?"

"Yes, babe, he is."

"Well, is Eli Manning married?"

Again, "Yes, he is."

The wind?  Out of her sails.  Completely.  

"Oh.  (She's so sad that she can no longer sit up.  She flops down on her back and drops the My Little Pony she'd been playing with.)  That makes my heart so sad.  I wanted to marry Peyton Manning."

Chris had a cow.  Then he had a phone conversation with her informing her that at the age of 4 she need not be concerned about who she would marry.  Not for a long, long time.

2 comments:

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Her first taste of heart break...

Joni Streit said...

oh my goodness.. I'm so glad I found your blog. I know this is an old post, but I share her sentiments about Peyton Manning. Love the way you write. :)